State fairs in the United States have been the birthplace for many new foods. Think about the corn dog for instance. Recently, I saw a news report talking about a state fair in the Mid-West, I think it was Idaho, that had a new fair food. It was deep fried butter.
I have to admit that my first though was disgust but by the end of the report I wanted to try one. So I decided to make one myself.
Ingredients:
- 1 stick of butter
Batter Mix
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
Glaze
- 1 cup confectionary sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
- Place a wooden skewer through the stick of butter at least half way and place in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- in a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add milk, egg and oil and whisk
- Mix in cinnamon and honey
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer to 375-400 degrees F.
- Make the glaze by mixing confectionary sugar, milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour batter in a tall skinny cup
- Remove butter from refrigerator and unwrap then dip in batter.
- Immediately place in deep fryer for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from deep fryer and drain on paper towels
- pour glaze over fried butter and serve.
While I was hesitant to try this recipe, I am glad that I did. I was concerned that I was going to be biting into butter. This wasn’t the case. Most of the butter melted away while it was in the deep fryer and the butter that was left was perfect for adding flavor. To me it tasted a lot like a cinnamon roll with a buttery inside.
If you decide to make these, please let me know what you think they taste like.
If you would like to see how I made these and watch my taste this for the first time, watch it here:
Please feel free to share this recipe with friends and family on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
No comments:
Post a Comment